Rapid Prototyping (RP) can be defined as a group of techniques used to quickly fabricate a scale model of a part or assembly using three-dimensional computer aided design (CAD) data. What is commonly considered to be the first RP technique, Stereolithography, was developed by 3D Systems of Valencia, CA, USA.
The reasons of Rapid Prototyping are:
- To increase effective communication.
- To decrease development time.
- To decrease costly mistakes.
- To minimize sustaining engineering changes.
- To extend product lifetime by adding necessary features and eliminating redundant features early in the design.